Stephens Creek Reservoir
Stephens Creek Dam is located approximately 15 km northeast of Broken Hill on the Barrier Highway (Highway 32).
Community facilities include a picnic area, barbeques and a children’s playground.
The dam was built in 1891 and 1892 by the Broken Hill Water Supply Company. It was opened by Sir Henry Parkes in 1892 and it was the third dam built for water supply purposes in New South Wales. The original spillways were raised 3 feet in 1909.
The reservoir provides backup water supply for the Essential Water network.